Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday Food & Wine Finds: September 3, 2010

Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!

Seriously, September 3rd is National Grilled Cheese Day. (Would I make this up?? I heard it on Twitter, so clearly it must be true.) Actually, Foodimentary says today is also National Welsh Rarebit Day. Though in this particular case, I'm fairly sure "National" refers just specifically to the nation of Wales. I doubt that anyone in this particular country has taken to the streets to celebrate Welsh Rarebit. Though perhaps they should... it sounds like a slightly more sophisticated grilled cheese. No wonder it shares a day of celebration with my beloved grilled cheese.

This week, I've been following Eater's breathless dispatches on the alleged Top Chef All Stars currently being filmed in New York. Apparently they've filmed in multiple locations, so it seems as though it might be a full-fledged season and not just a one-time special. The all-star gimmick doesn't work for every show, but I really liked some of these chefs in their own seasons and would be glad to see them get another shot at the title.

Also in Top Chef news... really, this is so sad... bearded Top Chef favorite Kevin Gillespie is now apparently hawking bacon-flavored dog food. I feel so guilty. It's all my fault. If we only would have patronized his Atlanta restaurant, maybe he wouldn't have to stoop to such depths. I'm so sorry, Kevin.

Are cocktails intellectual property? The Atlantic ran this interesting article discussing exactly who owns a recipe, as well as a follow-up based on reader feedback.

A California study suggests only 61% of home kitchens would pass the same inspection given to restaurants. Would yours?

Check out this article about rancher in Canada who has run afoul of food inspectors for feeding wine to her cattle. She claims it gives the meat a better taste and aroma. I'll admit it actually does sound sort of delicious.

Three words: Deep. Fried. Beer. Only in Texas... Actually, this sounds like something that should be served at the Iowa State Fair. On a stick, of course.

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. RE: Top Chef--I think an all-star season is a wonderful idea, but will the rivalries and characters get stale after we've already watched them for an entire season? That is a real concern.

    RE: Kevin--No way. Won't believe it until I see it.

    RE: Deep-fried beer--I have no idea how this would work, or how you would eat it. And, would the beer then be warm? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete