Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Food & Wine Finds

So... what do you think of the new title? I rather liked Trevor's suggestion on my last Friday post for "Friday Offal Links," but maybe you have nicer things to think about today than dining on the internal organs of animals. 

And now that I've brought it up, I'm sure you can think of nothing else.

Anyway, what do you think of "Friday Food and Wine Finds?" Leave me a comment and let me know!

On to the food and wine finds...

I'm in Atlanta this weekend, so guess where I'll be eating tonight? Oh yes... Woodfire Grill, home of the bearded one. For those of you who don't watch Top Chef, this is the restaurant of last season's Kevin Gillespie where slow cooking rules and pork belly is king.  SO excited. If I survive without blowing a coronary artery, I'll report back on the food.

I have wanted to make my own sushi for a long time. Here's a video that might finally give me the confidence to attempt it.
 This candied bacon ice cream is absolutely on my to-do list... yes, you heard correctly, candied bacon ice cream. Don't all volunteer at once to be my taste-testers.

If I had the free time, I think I could furnish a house entirely with DIY furniture. Like these wonderful bar stools. I'm 80% sure that I could make these. I am not sure how sturdy they would be, but they would at least look good.

WOW. I am mesmerized by this video tutorial on a "poor man's turducken." Oh, by the way, the outer layer is bacon WOVEN WITH DUCK FAT. I'm not sure I would slather the whole thing in barbecue sauce, or use squash as the innermost layer, but still. Whoa. 

Chef Todd English refuses to serve ranch dressing in his new Las Vegas pub. I kind of love this. I do prefer bleu cheese to ranch, so I guess I'm a little biased. (By the way, this restaurant is new since I was last in Vegas. I can't wait to enjoy some bleu cheese there next time I'm in town.)

This is a fascinating article on how adding water to coffee, liquor, etc. can actually enhance flavors rather than diluting them.

That's all for now - I've got pork belly to enjoy and Kevin Gillespie to stalk! Happy Friday, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Who Knew? Adding water!
    Anxious to hear about the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete