Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Recipe: Rhubarb Ginger Frozen Yogurt

By now, I'm pretty sure my love for rhubarb is well-documented on this blog. Along with asparagus, rhubarb is one of my favorite harbingers of spring. As soon as the first farmer's market rolls around in May, I search out the brightest, reddest stalks and buy pounds of it every week - much to the chagrin of my mother, who is kept in constant, free supply by a generous friend with a garden and plenty of rhubarb to spare. Ahem. Step it up, friends with backyards.

Throughout spring and summer, I tend to bring home armfuls of farmer's market rhubarb and then, inevitably, have to find creative ways to use it all up. In this case, thick and creamy Greek yogurt turned out to be the perfect vehicle for incorporating rhubarb into a frozen treat. I used ginger with the rhubarb because I'm especially partial to that pairing, but you could easily make the rhubarb puree with strawberries instead of ginger for a more classic flavor combination.

By the way, this is the recipe that completely turned me into a frozen yogurt lover. I've never been a big fan of TCBY or any other prepared frozen yogurt, but the homemade kind is completely different. Starting with a base of Greek yogurt produces a thick, creamy, full-flavored dessert that is unlike any frozen yogurt you've tasted - in fact, you might have a hard time believing it's not actually ice cream!

Recipe: Rhubarb Ginger Frozen Yogurt
1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c packed brown sugar (either light or dark will work)
1 small orange
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp cinnamon
Pinch salt
3 c Greek yogurt
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Zest and juice the orange; set aside 1/4 cup of the juice. Combine 1 tbsp of zest with rhubarb, sugars, ginger, and cinnamon over medium heat.


Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is soft and easily mashed with the back of a spoon. Remove from heat; chill rhubarb mixture in refrigerator until completely cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the reserved orange juice with yogurt,vanilla, and salt. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Frozen-yogurt-to-be, ready to churn.
When cycle is complete, transfer yogurt to a bowl with a tight-fitting lid. Stir in rhubarb mixture, then freeze immediately for 4-6 hours.


Makes about 1 quart.


Next time I make this yogurt, I'd like to stir in crumbled graham crackers along with the rhubarb puree for a little more texture. I love a little crunch in my ice cream, and I think graham crackers would provide a crunchy, sweet counterpoint without overpowering the tartness of the rhubarb. Imagine rhubarb in a graham cracker piecrust and you'll get my drift... yum. If you happen try this recipe with the extra step added in, leave me a comment and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment